Packages in a new instance of an older version

I have a new instance of ActivePerl-5.14.2.1402 where I can not find the modules needed to add in from the package manager - i did read how the PPM went away for the State Tool - I’m not real well versed in how to do this from a command line or anything - I have a work instruction that I had followed from previous installs - these are the packages I need:

Date Manip
Math-Round
Win32-OLE
NeT-FTP-common
XML-twig

Is there a way to copy them over from the existing server where they are installed to the new machine I am trying to bring up?

Or do i need to install the State Tool on the new server and install them that way…?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you

Hey there @1kewldude – couple things you can try:

1. Do you have to be on Perl 5.14? That’s a pretty old version, and 5.32.1 is the newest – it also offers a much better experience than the older versions.
  2. If you’re not that comfortable with the command line, have you tried the web UI on the platform (https://platform.activestate.com) to create a project – you can then just use the Add Packages dialog to search for and select the packages you need.
  3. If you install your Perl via the state tool (state activate somePerlProject) then you can just use state install somePkg to install packages.

It sounds like you’re not that comfortable with the command line, and it might be easiest to just head over to platform.activestate.com sign-up for an account if you don’t have one already (or sign-in to your existing account), click the Set up a new runtime button on your dashboard, choose Custom Perl Build and then just follow the steps to create your runtime and add the packages you need.

Let us know if you need further help.

1 Like

Thank you @ peteg - I am asking my coworkers if they still need to use Perl and researching a few things - i was just trying to get ahead of the game asking here because the process deviated from my work instruction.

I appreciate your reply and info!