Can`t Find PPM (Perl Package Manager)

Perl Package Manager (PPM) has been replaced with the ActiveState Platform and its Command Line Interface (CLI), the State Tool, where:

• The ActiveState Platform provides a catalog of buildable modules, and performs the build (including linked C libraries) for you.
  • The State Tool allows you to manage the modules/dependencies in your environment.

If you are a Windows or Linux user (macOS is not supported at this time), you will need to create a virtual environment that contains your Perl environment, as well as all of the dependencies you require.

To get started

1. Download the State Tool and run state auth to create an ActiveState Platform account (or login if you have an account).

2. Create an ActiveState Platform project locally by typing:
    state init <my_org>/<project_name> --language=perl[version]

Where:

• my_org is the name you provided during account creation
    • project_name is the name of the project to create
    • [version] can be:
  3. Follow the instructions on screen, and then switch to the directory where the project is initialized. For example: cd my_org/project_name

4. Run state push to sync your local project with the ActiveState Platform

5. You can now add dependencies by typing: state packages import file, where file can be a cpanfile or meta.json file

Tip: add all of the new dependencies you require to your cpanfile/meta.json file before importing.

6. The ActiveState Platform will build all of the dependencies in your Perl environment, including linked C libraries. You will receive an email notification when it’s done.

Tip: you can also check the progress of the build by pointing your browser at the ActiveState Platform’s distributions page for your project: https://platform.activestate.com/<myorg>/<my-project-name>/distributions

7. Run state pull to sync your local project with the Platform’s build. Your Perl environment will be downloaded and installed in your local project directory.

8. To start working with your Perl environment run:
    state activate my_org/project_name

From this point, to add a dependency to your environment you need only run:
state packages add <name[@version]>

And after you receive the email notification that the build is complete, run:
state pull

For more information on working with the State Tool, refer to the documentation.