State install does not work

state install does not work.
Says “something went wrong” ach time I try.
Even with different modules.

Hi @indranilbanerjie,

Thank you for writing!

We’ll a few need more details to be able to help you.

What did you do before you got this error message and what were you trying to do?

Clearly, you wanted to install a package or module, but were you trying this with one of your projects from ActiveState or were you trying something else?


Thanks for responding so quickly. Appreciate that.
Yes, I was trying to install a module through the command line (windows powershell)
and tried the using the “state installl…” command as you had suggested in some earlier post.
Got an error message which said I wasn’t working within an existing project.
I suppose I have to figure out how to work inside an existing project (whatever that means!).
Anyway, the error reported was as follows:
"state : ╔════════════════════╗
At line:1 char:1

  • state install date::manip
  •   + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (╔════...════╗:String) [], RemoteException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandError

â•‘ Installing Package â•‘
Something Went Wrong
x To run this command you need to be in an existing project. You can create
a new project with state init or run this command from a directory that is in an
existing project. You can also mark a project as the default to use by running state activate --default inside your project directory.
Need More Help?
• Run → state install --help for general help
• Visit the Forum →"

I will as the emssage suggests visit the forum.


Hey @indranilbanerjie,

There are quickstart docs at State Tool CLI :: ActiveState Platform Documentation … but they need a little bit of updating.

I’ll record a video walkthrough tomorrow (and get the quickstart docs updated.)


Thanks for the pointer.
Look forward to your video.
Best wishes

Hi @indranilbanerjie,

Embarrassingly, I’m getting an error when I set up a new project on the command line and try adding packages to it.

I’ll go talk to the dev team. In the meantime, here is what should have worked on the command line:

# log in to your account, but only if you're not already authenticated
# if you don't have an account, you'd run state auth init instead
state auth 

# create a new project with Perl 5.3.2
state init --path some/location zakg/perldemo perl@5.3.2 

# move into the project directory
cd some/location

# push the project details up to the Platform
# The Platform will send back some info about the project
state push

# Now we install a package
state install Date-Manip

… but at this point, the Platform sends back an error message asking if I meant Date-Manip or Date-Manip, which is not very helpful…

Again, sorry and I’ll see what our devs have to say. :slight_smile:


Hey @indranilbanerjie – the issue may be limited to my machine. We’re investigating. :smiley:


I realize this thread is a bit old, but I have the same issue and I don’t see a resolution listed here. I created a fork of Perl 5.28 as a new project and did a brand new build, then installed it on Windows 10. I discovered I needed another module, CGI::Simple, so I went to a command prompt to try to install it individually. (Using ‘state auth’ says I’m logged in as my user ID if that matters). I enter this command:

state install CGI::Simple

and get back the following response:

C:\Windows\system32>state install CGI-Simple
║ Installing Package ║

Something Went Wrong
 x Could not match CGI-Simple. Did you mean:

 - Cgi-Simple
 - CGI-Simple
 - CGI-Simple
 - CGI-Simple
 - CGI-Simple
 - .. (to see more results run `state search CGI-Simple`)
 x Bad request while resolving order: Please visit
[snipped] to see details about the error: Request is invalid

Need More Help?
 • Run → `state install --help` for general help
 • Visit the Forum →

I tried it again using “CGI-Simple” (instead of the colon between the parts), but the error was the same. I even did the search which reported back CGI-Simple as the package name, which I had just tried. This same error occurred with a couple of other modules I tried to add after the fact. Any idea what I’m missing?

1 Like

Hi @swbrains,

Thanks for writing and sorry about the error!

We’ve seen this problem before and I thought that it was fixed.

When I look at the project on the ActiveState Platform, I see an odd error message of:

Can't move up CGI-Simple/src-CGI-Simple-1.25/t: Permission denied at 
C:/build/camel/lib/ActiveState/Build/ line 403.

I’ll pass it to our dev team and see what they say.


Hi all,

the same happens when trying to install the ‘Perl-LanguageServer’. The state search finds it, but when trying to install it reports . I tried also with the latest version appendend (@2.2.0), no change.

However, when using -v it recommended me to take a look at a given https link; there it was shown and recommended to update to the web tool project or something like that. I did it and it showed me that the problem was that my Perl version was only set to “Perl 5” instead of the “Perl 5.28.1” and therefore the package manager was not able to locate the appropriate package.

I start to like this ‘state’ :slight_smile:

All the best,