Impossible to install perl from activestate on win11

C:\Windows\System32>powershell -Command “& $([scriptblock]::Create((New-Object Net.WebClient).DownloadString(‘’))) -c’state activate --default dogen/Perl-5.36.0-Windows’” • Preparing Installer for State Tool Package Manager version 0.34.0-SHA4436f67…√ Done

panic: regexp: Compile(^([a-zA-Z0-9\p{S}\p{L}]((-?[a-zA-Z0-9\p{S}\p{L}]{0,62})?)|([a-zA-Z0-9\p{S}\p{L}](([a-zA-Z0-9-\p{S}\p{L}]{0,61}[a-zA-Z0-9\p{S}\p{L}])?)(\.)){1,}([a-zA-Z\p{L}]){2,63})$): error parsing regexp: invalid character class range: \p{S}

goroutine 1 [running]:
regexp.MustCompile(0x1169020, 0xa6, 0x1123fdf)
C:/hostedtoolcache/windows/go/1.16.15/x64/src/regexp/regexp.go:311 +0x15f
D:/a/cli/cli/vendor/ +0x45

No transparency in install procedure and emits always errors. Better try another perl…

Hi @dogen,

That’s a really strange error. It’s complaining about a regex rule in the openapi library, which is a very stable and widely used library. Nothing about the regex actually looks wrong, so my one and only suspicion is antivirus software that’s throwing false positives. Could you let us know what antivirus you’re running, if any? Additionally, would you mind seeing if temporarily disabling it resolves your issue?

Thank you

Yes, really strange. I am on a virtual win11 that is uptodate and no further antivirus programs (just defender)

Before the script did nothing (just the green check mark) and quit. No Perl no state command possible. I tried that several times and the last time got this strange error and I gave up.

Very strange. I’ve been running Windows 11 since it’s earliest release and have not seen anything like this. Hard to imagine this being VM related either considering the error is complaining about invalid Regex.

Could you share some details on your setup so that we can try to reproduce it? Like which build of Windows 11. What VM software (you never know…), and any non-standard software installed that might have an impact?

Additionally it could be helpful to run the command with debug logging turned on, possibly there’s something in the log that could help us. In order to do this simply run the command with the VERBOSE=true environment variable set. ie. run set VERBOSE=true and then run the one liner.

You could also try running the command directly from powershell, to eliminate any issues stemming from cmd.exe. So open up powershell and run the one liner minus the powershell part, ie.

& $([scriptblock]::Create((New-Object Net.WebClient).DownloadString(''))) -c'state activate --default dogen/Perl-5.36.0-Windows'

Hopefully some of this will at least give us an indication as to what might be at fault, since the error you receive seems more like fallout stemming from the actual issue.

A post was split to a new topic: Installation errors with “path must be an empty directory”