Get Platform installed in VS Code

ActiveState Perl 5.28 Community version. Build completed in AS Platform.
Built .msi was downloaded then installed to host, Windows 7 Desktop 64Bits. Perl runtime configured on AS Platform user’s account seems to build, install to host and work in free-of-troubles way.

Actually user needs to have Perl environment in its MS Visual Studio Code, same host as mentioned above. MS VS Code Perl Language Server and Debugger by Gerald Richter is - among others - added to AS Perl runtime.

MS Visual Studio Code (current release) installation here needs to be populated with built AS Perl runtime. It is unclear which are all requirements to be fulfilled, steps to be conducted and in which sequence.
ActiveState Platform extension has been installed to MS VS Code. Former one asks for installation of State tool which however fails.
�����������������������ͻ
� Installing State Tool �
�����������������������ͼ

Installing to 'C:\Users\userA\AppData\Roaming\ActiveState\bin'...
Preparing for installation...
Determining latest version...

WARNING: Unable to retrieve the latest version number from https://s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.com/cli-update/update/state/release//windows-386.json
, stderr: fetchArtifacts : The term 'ConvertFrom-Json' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if
 a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At C:\Users\userA\AppData\Local\Temp\1615796750install.ps1:378 char:26
+     $err = fetchArtifacts <<<<  $tmpParentPath $statejson $statepkg
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,fetchArtifacts

[ERROR] Installation failed with code 1
[ERROR] State tool installation failed: Error: Installation failed with code 1
[ERROR] State Tool cannot operate without an active workspace.
[DEBUG] assuming project doesn't exist due to state show error
[DEBUG] Skipping Perl onOpenTextDocument; Only run on perl.
[DEBUG] Skipping Python onOpenTextDocument; Only run on python.

How to fix State tool MS VS Code extension installation problem?
How to get ActiveState Perl 5.28 runtime built integrated in MS VS Code?

Hi @nonepicked,

Thanks for writing! I’ll ask our dev tools team to take this issue.

Cheers!
–zak

I appreciate your be-ready-to-help in short time.

Hi @nonepicked, could you verify you are running the latest PowerShell version available for your OS version? The error you shared is indicating that the PowerShell install script we use is using a function that is not supported on older versions.

Hi @nathanr, Thanks for your quick help. Indeed that can well be. Please give me few days to follow your instructions. It’s a host in corporate network, I need administrators clearance.

What will be next step following State Tool successful installation to MS VS Code? User has no problem to run and debug Perl scripts out of MS VS Code,
what they ask for is to have powerful tool to navigate through scripts symbols, line of codes, scripts, call-stack visualization, etc. in productive way. That’s way it was grabbed for MS VS Code and Perl Language Server extension.

Our extension can only help with part of that problem; it can provide the Perl runtime which most extensions use to provide the type of information you mentioned. Our extension does not actually provide you with that information itself though, it only installs the core dependencies required to do so.

If you check near the bottom of our VScode extension page we recommend 2 Perl extensions to install:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ActiveState.activestate-platform

These should supply you with the type of information you’re asking about, though note from our research into Perl support in VSCode it’s still quite lacking. Unfortunately our solution is only aimed at providing the runtime dependencies, you’d still have to rely on the community at large to provide a competent Perl extension for vscode that provides completions and the like.

Thanks, I am aware of it. Actually it is Perl extension implemented by Gerald Richter (Perl Language Server and Debugger) the component from which I expect delivery of pointed out capabilities. Sure, I will install also the another one.
I am aware my next question goes beyond the goal pointed out nevertheless how does Perl runtime built in ActiveState platform integrate to MS VS Code? Where to find description how to proceed as soon as AS Platform extension yet State tool are successfully installed to VS Code in order to get ActiveState runtime integrated to VS Code?