Error uninstalling Active State Mac OS

Hello! I wanted to delete and disable Active State from my computer and made the mistake of uninstalling the activestate.yaml file. I tried running the instructions for uninstalling and had no success. Pasted the following command:

sudo sh <(curl -q https://platform.activestate.com/dl/cli/stop.sh)

I get the following message “sh: /dev/fd/11: Bad file descriptor”

Any help would be greatly apreciated as I dont have big knowledge on these type of topics and I’m losing mi mind trying to solve this problem I created for myself.

Nicolas,

Welcome to the ActiveState Community!

While I haven’t run into your specific problem, one thing you could try is to reinstall your project to the same directory from which you deleted the yaml file. This would likely “repair” your installation so it could be recognized by our uninstall routine.

Hope that helps,

1 Like

Hi,
does anyone have an idea what to do to uninstall Active State Perl? I get the same error as above and cannot uninstall it nor stop, I ve followed the Active state guidelines for Mac Os but nothing works for it to be uninstalled. Please help!

As suggested above did you also try re-installing into the same directory to repair the install and then un-installing?

Hi Nicole, I have not deleted the yaml file unlike the person who has started the topic, it is where it is supposed to be but the command doesn t work anyway!

None of the questions are very precise about exactly what is wished to be uninstalled.

Perl, Python, Tcl, or Ruby are languages packaged as runtimes. The State Tool is separate from any runtimes it manages. If you are trying to uninstall a runtime, like Python 3.10, the required answer will be different from the case where you are trying to uninstall the State Tool itself.

Showing what you type, and what the system responds with, can be helpful for understanding what you are trying to uninstall or otherwise accomplish, so please include a bit more detail.

The command in question is attempting to download a file that will stop any runaway State Tool services. A running service can interfere with removing the State Tool, but if you are only trying to remove a runtime attempting this command isn’t even helpful.
The manuals are better now than they used to be. To remove a runtime:

To remove the State Tool when the state clean uninstall command does not:

As for the problem with the specific command above:
“Bad file descriptor” as an error from anything piped to the sudo command is common. It is a property of the sudo command to close file descriptors except for standard input, output and error.
The command is a shortcut. It’s attempting to merge two commands into a single line to provide a one-liner. The most reliable way to resolve this error is to decouple the two commands in the line.
Run curl separately, and save stop.sh file to local disk, then pass that file to “sudo sh”.
Unfortunately, that does require some knowledge of the use of curl, but when a shortcut doesn’t work, the full process may avoid the problem or tell you where an error is happening.

Did you already try running

pkill state && pkill state-svc

?