How do I uninstall Perl?

I installed Perl 5.32 hoping to use it to run a set of perl scripts that I use periodically to do some work on an Oracle database. I also installed the Oracle DBD package. The scripts fail when trying to use the Oracle connection and I suspect it’s because I have the 32-bit Oracle client (not an option to change that) while Active Perl appears to be 64-bit.

I want to completely uninstall Active Perl so I can try a different solution. I searched and found the command “state clean uninstall” but it tells me this:

x Cannot uninstall the State Tool while in an activated state. Please deactivate and try again.

I’ve searched everywhere about how to deactivate, but can’t find any documentation on how to do it.

How do I completely uninstall and remove ActiveState Perl?

Did you
‘state activate’
to install it, or
‘state deploy’
to install it?

@MarkNoll to exit an activated state just type exit. An activated state happens when you run state activate, this creates a new shell session that’s configured for your virtual environment. As with any shell session you can exit it by running state exit.

So effectively the error is telling you that you cannot uninstall while you are currently using the tool (ie. you are currently “activated”).

Neither, I used the powershell command to download and install it:

powershell -Command “& $([scriptblock]::Create((New-Object Net.WebClient).DownloadString(‘https://platform.activestate.com/dl/cli/install.ps1’))) -activate-default ActiveState/Perl-5.32”

I then grabbed the DBD-Oracle package and tried to run my existing perl script.

Thanks! I used the exit command, and then I was able to do state clean uninstall.

1 Like