Python 3.6.6 won't uninstall

WIN10 64-bit

Python 3.6.6 refuses to uninstall. Tried repair and uninstall several times. Was able to install 3.8.2 and they are now both installed.

This is the event:

Product: ActivePython 3.6.6 Build 0000 (64-bit) – Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action UnregisterCOMObjects, location: C:\Python36\pythonw.exe, command: -E C:\Python36\Tools\asinstall\register_com_objects.py --unregister

C:\WINDOWS\system32>C:\Python36\Tools\asinstall\register_com_objects.py --unregister
Unregistered: Python.Interpreter
Unregistered: Python.Dictionary
Unregistered: Python

uninstall still fails.

I recall it complained during the original install many months ago about registering components, but ended up installed none-the-less.

Appreciate an assist :slight_smile:

Hi vicos!

Thanks for the report – I’ll raise it with the team.

Hey there – you could try ‘Run as Administrator’ for the installer (or execute the installer in an admin command prompt) – as I believe that you need some slightly elevated privileges for registration/unregistration of COM objects during the install process. Although, it might be that if they failed to install originally, it’s just failing to un-install. Will verify that here with the team, but it’s worth trying to run the installer as Administrator.

1 Like

Hi,

I executed the install in an admin command prompt as you suggested. Tried uninstall first; failed with the same error.

Then I tried a repair and uninstall again. Failed with same error.

I ran the unregister manually before opening this thread and it handled 3 objects:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>C:\Python36\Tools\asinstall\register_com_objects.py --unregister
Unregistered: Python.Interpreter
Unregistered: Python.Dictionary
Unregistered: Python

BTW, this is the installer used:

ActivePython-3.6.6.0000-win64-x64-15feb953.msi