How to install Perl on a Windows computer without internet connection?

In former times, a whole ActiveState Perl bundle could be downloaded as a Windows installer. But now I cannot see this possibility anymore. I built a package here but the two ways to install it require internet access.
Do I have to switch to other Perl brands like Strawberry Perl?

Hi Sunhillow,

There are no offline installers available outside of our paid tiers. If you are using this in a business context we kinda ask that you subscribe.

Cheers,

-JR

Hi JeffR,
I would like to test if beforehand on a normal computer, but it does not install even with internet

We don’t support Windows 8, so it that’s what you’re using, you will need the installer download add-on for Team Tier or an Enterprise Tier subscription.

If you have Windows 10 20H1 or higher, try the steps in the Network Troubleshooting section:

We recommend installing on a Desktop, vs a Server. If the runtime needs to arrive on a Server, stage it on a Desktop, and either repackage it into an internal intaller, or move it to the server.
(See the online manuals for the section on ‘state deploy’)

There’s a new downloadable installer for the State Tool. That might resolve your network connection issues partially, but the State Tool still needs to be able to connect to The Platform to install your runtime.

To install Perl on a Windows computer without internet access, switch to Strawberry Perl, a free and open-source distribution available as an offline installer. Download the installer from their website, follow the instructions to install it, and start using Perl to write scripts and applications.

For installing Perl modules from CPAN, download the module’s tarball from the CPAN website, unpack it, configure the module using ‘perl Makefile.PL’, then build and install it with ‘make’ and ‘make install’ commands. Once installed, you can use the module in your Perl scripts and applications. Any other questions? Let me know!

Is your solution as simple as you would like to think?

With a lot of modules to add, manually running Makefile.pl, make, and make install would be something of a ballache. Some modules have dependencies on open source libraries, which would need to be installed. Also, running make can fail due to issues with the generated makefile.

With an internet connection the hassle of installing modules could be reduced by using cpanm with a cpanfile, but any issues with the makefiles would still need to be dealt with (by manual edits followed by running make, make test and make install).

You could download a build of Perl, such as ActiveState Perl (where the build is done for you without any of the aforementioned hassles) to a computer that has a network connection, then move the installation. That would be quicker than manually creating the build using cpan.