Downloading Python

Follong directions from the book HTML in Easy Steps, i visited the activestate.com webpage and created an account, but I can’t find Featured Projects and Languages in order to download Python. Whhat should I procceed?

1 Like

emfrillingos,

After logging into your ActiveState Platform acccount, you can just click on the “New Project” button select a version of Python and the OS you use, and then click “Finish & Install Python”

Although the UI has changed, this video can help point you in the right direction:

Thanks! I downloaded the state-remote-installer.exe and clicked it.
It opened the command prompt window. It said:

This will install the State Tool
Your use of ActiveState platform is subject…
By continuing you accept the Terms of Xervice. Continue? (Y?n)

I entered Y. Then:

State Tool Package has been successfully installed.
Press ENTER to exit.

What next?

Did you create a python project?

if yes - you login to https://platform.activestate.com/ and click the python project then click “install” and copy the command to bring your project down, for example “state activate --default ActiveState-Projects/ActiveState-Python-3.11.2” and paste that into a command (cmd.exe) window (that you may need to run as admin)

that will bring down a local copy of python to your system using the state tool.

I see. No I haven’t created a Python project, and wasn’t intended to. I am following through the HTML in Easy Steps, and in the chapter “Create a Local Domain”, after the section “Install Abyss”, I’ve reached “Install Python”, before moving to “Configure Abyss”. The book describes the usual installation process, downloading the installer, clicking on it, following the directions,… I think I’ll skip this section for now.

So unfortunately you can not use ActiveState unless you create an ActiveState project, or fork an existing ActiveState project or use someone elses public ActiveState project.

An ActiveState project is simply you saying what version of Python you want, then using State Tool to fetch it.

Hopefully you were able to proceed without it, but for yourself or anyone else who ends up here in the future - in order to get the binaries for Python onto your system you need to do one of the following:

Find a public ActiveState project that is the version of Python you want

I found this one via a search engine

https://platform.activestate.com/vincepower/learn-python

Click “Install”

This directs you to install our CLI, the State Tool

Once installed bring the project (the binaries) down to your system by running the state command as instructed by the install directions in the State Tool

Now they are local and you can use them! If you use VSCode Python Extension you can make things even easier by using the VSCode extension https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k0hCGx4joA

Find a public ActiveState project that is the version of Python you want, and fork it

To do this you need to login to or create your free Active State account, view the project you want to fork and click the “fork” button

Now you have your own copy of the project

Click “Install”

Once installed bring the project (the binaries) down to your system by running the state command as instructed by the install directions in the State Tool

Make your own project

To do this you need to login to or create your free Active State account

If you do not have an organization you will first need to create an organization (thats just a way to group projects so you can share them with other people)

Click “new project”

Click the version of Python you want, which OS you want it for, then click “finish & Install Python”

Wait for it to finish building the binaries

Click “Install”

If you’re having trouble finding the download link for Python on the ActiveState website, you can try the following steps:

1. Visit the ActiveState website and log in to your account.
  2. Look for a search bar or navigation menu on the website.
  3. Use the search bar or navigate through the menu to find the section related to programming languages or downloads.
  4. Look for Python or a list of programming languages, and click on it.
  5. You should see a download link or button for Python. Click on it to start the download process.

If you’re still unable to find the download link, you may want to contact ActiveState support for further assistance still need for better understanding here are some great places to understand: 1. W3 School 2. Iqra Technology