RX Toolkit - Perl version error - Komodo 12.0.1

I cannot select Perl as the language for the Rx Toolkit because I get an error message that says:

Perl version 5.28 is not supported; must be 5.14, 5.16, 5.18, 5.20, or 5.22

I am running Komodo 12.0.1 on a Windows 10 64bit PC.

Are there plans to support 5.28 soon?
Do I need to downgrade the Perl on my system?
Will there be problems if I have two different versions of Perl installed?

Hi @craig-wavefront-net,

I’ll engage one of our Komodo developers here, and see if we can get you some help with your questions.

Cheers,

-JR

Hey @craig-wavefront-net,

There aren’t currently any plans to update Komodo to support a newer version of Perl.

As long as you use a tool that properly updates your env to use the different Perl install, then having multiple installs is fine.

For having multiple Perl’s installed, I’d recommend the ActiveState Platform and the State Tool (Obviously). You can install any number of isolated Perls you like.

If you want help getting setup with the State Tool let us know.
The super basics getting started steps:

1. Install the state tool, in Cmd run: > powershell -Command "& $([scriptblock]::Create((New-Object Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://platform.activestate.com/dl/cli/install.ps1')))"
  2. run > state activate careyh/Perl-5.22.4-Windows
  3. Choose the directory of the project you’re working with in Komodo (it just adds an activestate.yaml file)

If the above runs without errors you now have Perl 5.22 installed on your computer but only activated in that terminal session. It will not pollute any existing installs. In Komodo you should see a new icon in the Komodo Left sidebar, AS>, where you can click Activate Runtime which will tell Komodo to use that Perl.

There’s a lot more to it if that works for you. If you want more details on how to get more Perl versions feel free to ask here or in another thread.

• Carey

Thanks for the response.
This didn’t work for me.
I manually downloaded the install.ps1 file and looked at it. I tried to run it, but it just keeps opening the install.ps1 file for viewing.

It isn’t worth the hassle. I will just continue to use the Rx Tool with python selected as the language.

Komodo continues to become less useful for Perl programmers.

Darn it, sorry @craig-wavefront-net. I don’t know why i don’t get notifications about responses in this forum.

That doesn’t sound right. You ran the suggested command in a CMD window and it opened the file in an editor? It sounds like you double clicked on it in the file explorer instead of running the script in a shell.

thanks for the awesome information.

thanks my issue has been fixed.