Active Perl and Windows2019

I have some Perl projects which have been in regular use since 2014.
The server used to have a xampp installation and Windows 2008 R2. Everything worked nicely.

In the end of the year 2020 we got a new very fast server. The OS is Windows 2019 and I installed Active Perl. I configured it and everything seem to run perfectly.

But as soos ans there were more users than 1, everything gets pretty randomly very slow.

If I load some Perl modules (like “use DateTime;”) it could take a second or two. Readind a storable module hash-file could take like 5 seconds. (all these worked nicely in the old server). And sometimes things run smootly.

I’m totally clueless here.

Is it really that Active Perl just isn’t Windows 2019 compatible?

Hey @miakoiv I’ll raise your concern with one of the support staff that may have some insight into your situation. What version of ActivePerl did you install?

Cheers.

Versions could be important, particularly if you’re trying to use the same ActivePerl you would have had running on Server 2008. There are no versions of ActivePerl from 2014 that are compatible with Server 2016 or Server 2019.

However, are you sure you were using ActivePerl in the past?

XAMPP supplies it’s own Perl, and it’s not ActivePerl. If you were running XAMPP, the odds are that you were using the built in Perl supplied by XAMPP. It’s not so easy to inject ActivePerl into the XAMPP mix. Among other issues, the Apache plugins provided by XAMPP are not compiled against ActivePerl. In order to use, many of them would have to be recompiled from the original source code for Apache and the plugin.

XAMPP also usually means Apache is the webserver, and Apache is much less common on Server 2019 than it was on 2003 or 2008. Are you still using Apache on the new systems, or are you running the IIS that can be installed on Windows Server 2019 instead?

There’s a lot of difference between how a Perl that is designed for use with Apache will run, when compared with how a Perl that is not customized for use with IIS will run. Yes, there are some situations where IIS will respond very badly when running Perl if there is any sort of loading. The version of ActivePerl in use, and architecture of the website are key parts.