Perl path and command line

You used to download it, install it, it would put the path in your path environment variable and then you could run it immediately. Currently I have no idea what is going on with this install. I installed Perl 5.34 and I don’t know where it installed it, it did not effect or do anything to the environment path and when I run perl on the command line it says state.exe is not recognizable. I don’t need any packages, I just need to run some data manipulation scripts. Might you have any advice as to what I might be doing wrong? This is an established dev box and already has Perl on it which is also a source of confusion since the path is wrong, … those files don’t exist in AppData.

1 Like

Hi Robbg,

Perl runs in a virtual environment by default, so you have to state activate it. If you want to install it globally on your system you need to do a state deploy of your project. Documentation is here: State Tool CLI :: ActiveState Platform Documentation

Hope that helps,

-JR

I’m with Robbg. I just want to download Perl, install it and run my scripts in a command prompt as “perl ” in a Windows environment. That’s what I’ve been doing for almost 15 years. How can I do that? Or CAN I do that anymore? I’m not a Perl guru just a simple Perl script runner.
Thank you,
Fred Allen

Hi Fred, I sent you a reply from your question sent to Support. I think that might help clear things up.