OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

irb > require "tk" results in - called Tcl_FindHashEntry on deleted table Abort trap: 6

I am currently reading O'Reilly's Learning Ruby book (I am very new to Ruby and using the Terminal) and am trying to run one of the example programs that uses the Tk toolkit. I have downloaded and installed ActiveTcl 8.6.1. from the ActiveState site. When I try to require "tk" either in a program or irb> it causes the error 'called Tcl_FindHashEntry on deleted table Abort trap: 6' and the Problem Report below pops up. This may be a very simple fix, but I have spent a couple of days trying to solve and understand this problem with no luck.

editing perl file on Mac OS X

When I edit a perl file on my Mac OS X Lion system with TextEdit, I get an error “Unrecognized character \xE2” from perl.
Which editor(s) can I, should I use on Mac OX X?

Newbie stuck loading AS Python on OS X

Hello Friends:

I'm new to Python and ActiveState Python. I have installed AS Python on my OS X 10.7.5 Mac.
I open a terminal window and type python

This is what I get:

Miguel-Rezniceks-Mac-Pro:~ migs$ python
Python 2.7.1 (r271:86832, Jul 31 2011, 19:30:53)
[GCC 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2335.15.00)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

Can someone lead me step by step to getting AS python to load?

Thanks in advance,

Miguel Reznicek

Can't find Bio::Tools::Run::Phylo::Phylip::consense module using ppm

A script I am compiling with PerlApp 9.2.1 and ActivePerl version requires the module Bio::Tools::Run::Phylo::Phylip::consense. Using PPM 4.17 I cannot find any part of Bio::Tools::Run::Phylo. In addition to the basic ActiveState PAckage Repository I have added the Bioperl, the log4perl and the Bioperl-run repositories.

The module I need is on CPAN. IS there something else I need to do to download it via ppm, or do I need to download and install it manually?

Thanks for your help.

Bary Hall

Reading Binary files written in Low endian format

Hello All,

I need to read a binary file containing records(int, string, long, date) using Python.

Can someone share a sample code that i can use to read the binary file?

Problem compiling for Linux with PerlApp 9.2.1 on Mac OSX

When I tried to download and install the module Bio::Phylo-0.50 using ppm I found that I was not authorized to do so because it had been removed from ActivePerl's available modules (Error: 401). I downloaded the moodule from CPAN, compiled and installed it manually and it worked fine for compiling stand-alone scripts with Mac OS X as the target.

However, when I try to compile scripts with linux-x86-32 I get the message:
401 Authorization Required at /ActivePerl/PPM/Client.pm line166.

How to uninstall ActiveTcl on my mac?

Please help me in uninstalling ActiveTcl8.5.12.1 from my MacBook Pro (OS 10.7.4).

I tried with following information presented on your web page:

but no luck in doing so, since I can't find uninstall script.

I would really appreciate some help.

Thank You in advance.

scikit-learn install fail

I've been having some trouble getting scikit-learn to work on Mac os x (10.7.4). The pypm install scikit-learn seems to work just fine but then I can't import sklearn. Here's the error.

import sklearn
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/xxx/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/IPython/core/interactiveshell.py", line 2538, in run_code
exec code_obj in self.user_global_ns, self.user_ns
File "", line 1, in
import sklearn

Base Kit crashing on "package require Tk"

I've downloaded the latest base kit from the teacup.

When I try to load Tk, it crashes.

> package require Tk

The relevant snippet from the core dump:
Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 ??? 000000000000000000 0 + 0
1 tclUwzuhy 0x0000000102a877c6 Tk_MacOSXSetupTkNotifier + 203
2 tclUwzuhy 0x0000000102a7fd8d TkpInit + 1188

Installing ActivePerl on OS X Lion

Hi, I may eventually figure this out, but I cannot get the manual part of the installation process to work. I am stuck at the configuration part. OS X Lion. I am trying to do this as a student/novice, because my system Perl did not perform as it should....it told me none of the documentation was in existence, and I couldn't get on to the second exercise after "hello World, " in LEARNING PERL. It actually said that there was "No documentation found for "perlfunc".

Then, after extensive searching, I found that OSX has defective/incomplete Perl.