teacup does not work with UNC path

Posted by tjroamer on 2013-02-20 14:17
Forums: TEA discussions | OS: Windows 7

I am using teacup to install a missing package. However, the "teacup list" generated the following error message on Windows 7:

0 entities found

Problems which occurred during the operation:
* http://teapot.activestate.com :
Error in constructor: Not a repository: Index database
"//agth.xgh.net/ag102$/Teapot/D%3a%2fProgramme%2fTcl.win32-x86_64/indexcache/teapot.activestate.com/INDEX":
Read access is denied

The home directory is H:, which synchronizes with a network driver.

Any one can help me? Thanks.

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Mon, 2013-03-25 12:52

With Windows Vista and higher, the installer should be right-clicked and "Run as Administrator".

Then when you go to use teapot, right-click the icon for the Command shell, and "Run as Administrator".

Your network drive H is not allowing the write. Doing a global install to your system disk should avoid that.

tjroamer | Wed, 2013-03-27 14:49

Hi Grahams,
thanks for your hints. It helped me to solve this problem. After running as admin on the tkcom file, I was able to run all of the teacup command too. For whatever reason, the problem with the H disk disappeared too.

Best regards,

aaron_danielson | Fri, 2017-06-30 06:12

I know it's been 4 years and OP is long gone, but this question still shows up when searching for answers, so this is for future users with the same issue. Running as Administrator didn't fix it for me.

The Windows installer pulls some information from the environment variable HOMESHARE when building the registry entries, which probably points to a home directory on the UNC drive.

Those registry entries live in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ActiveState\TEAPOT\C%3a%2fTcl.win32-x86_64\1.0\TeapotConfiguration. The localCache and watchWorkspace keys will have the mangled values. Update them to C:/Tcl/lib/teapot/package/win32-x86_64/indexcache and C:/Tcl/lib/teapot/package/win32-x86_64/watchspace. Done!