ActiveTcl 8.6 release does not correspond to Tcl/Tk 8.6...

Posted by on 2013-01-20 06:03

Hi all,

I have just updated to ActiveTcl 8.6 (not beta release), but I have troubles with it.
The release does not seem to correspond to Tcl/Tk 8.6, as it contains obsolete packages in it (i.e. beta versions of tdbc and its drivers, itcl, etc.).

And this happens for all OS I have tried (windows, linux 64, OS X).
In addition, it seems all tdbc drivers are missing for both the distribution, and the teapot repositories.

I am also facing problems with the teapot repository, it is awfully slow. "teacup update" runs for many many hours, under both windows & OS X. Under Linux seems a little faster.

I need to package an application with TDK, and I am out of options, I need the tdbc drivers.

George

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Thu, 2013-02-14 17:06

This was intentional to reduce build churn, and will be addressed in future releases, but the full release version of the module is available via TEApot, as are tdbc_mysql1.0.0, tdbc_odbc1.0.0, and tdbc_postgress1.0.0.

A full "teacup update" should take on the order of 5-10 minutes at most. If the update is making progress, but is just slow, you may be seeing problems with network latency. Do you get better performance if you try requesting one module at a time, rather than trying to pull the entire repository at once?

If the update is coming to a stop entirely, then your issue may be with a proxy server/firewall. Given the issues are worst on Windows and OSX, you may simply need to run the terminal "as Administrator" for Windows, and using "sudo" for OS X. You may have a combination of several issues.

petasis (not verified) | Sun, 2013-02-17 04:30

I think the problems are the repository timeouts. The repository simply does not respond.
Using "teacup timeout 3", teacup gives up on packages that never gets a response from the repository, and installs the rest of them. Repeating "teacup update" 4-6 times with timeout,
I managed to install everything in reasonable time.

Is there a way to setup a local proxy of the repository? Doing the same on 4 pcs is not that much fun... :D

George

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Mon, 2013-02-18 16:23

is to use the TEA package management from the Tcl Dev Kit.

http://docs.activestate.com/tdk/5.3/TEA_Apps.html