No Output When Running Perl Scripts

Posted by wcasey1@socal.rr.com on 2012-11-15 21:56

I have used Active State Perl for a few years on other machines (XP, Vista), but am unable to get Perl to install correctly on my new Windows 7 64 bit machine. When I run a Perl script that outputs to the screen, I see no output. The output screen is blank (no errors appear).

Embarrassingly even a simple "Hello" program won't run.

I'd appreciate any help.

thanks,
Wyatt

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Thu, 2012-12-13 16:47

Which Perl build is it? Did you install with the zip installer, or the MSI? Are you starting from the "run" box, a command window, or double-clicking the file? Did an ActivePerl folder appear under your Start menu?

wcasey1@socal.rr.com | Tue, 2013-01-01 13:20

Thanks for the reply.

I installed ActivePerl 5.16.1 Build 1601 (64 bit)
installed w/ MSI

I am running thru Perl Express 2.5. I suspect that is the problem. Can Perl Express 2.5 run on a 64 bit platform. I have always used Perl Express in the past.

Is there another development environment I can use?

I can run from a command window, after developing within Perl Express.

Thanks,
Wyatt

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Thu, 2013-01-03 15:17

I don't know Perl Express, but it looks like the final update for Perl Express was in 2005. That predates Perl 5.10, Windows Vista, and commonplace 64-bit Windows. Any of those broad areas of compatibility could be an issue for you with Perl 5.16 and 64-bit Windows 7.

There are a few choices for other options. We usually suggest Komodo Edit (free) or Komodo IDE (paid license, but gives more features than the free version).