Simple recipe to break PPM in ActivePerl 5.16

Posted by tdillman on 2012-10-15 10:12
Forums: PPM | OS: Windows 7

I'd recently installed ActivePerl 5.16 onto my development box. As a Komodo user who likes the built in perlcritic feature, I immediately opened up PPM to install 'criticism'. Not available. =/

OK, I can work around this:
Install App-cpanminus.
Use cpanm to install criticism.

Upon relaunching ppm, I discovered that it was now using the module versions in the 'perl' section instead of the 'site' section to determine which modules needed updating and the 'settings' dialog was no longer able to be brought up.

marks6i | Thu, 2013-04-04 19:15

I also upgraded to 5.16 from 5.14 and after installing App-cpanminus I am experiencing the same problem described above. Namely, "[PPM]was now using the module versions in the 'perl' section instead of the 'site' section to determine which modules needed updating and the 'settings' dialog was no longer able to be brought up". As a consequence, my updated packages list has grown quite large with the version in area site the same as the version available to upgrade area perl. (Re)installing these packages presents no error messages and the packages are still in the updated packages list.

This is very frustrating...

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Tue, 2013-04-09 10:32

App-cpanminus has released a lot of recent updates and bugfixes. Version 1.6107 doesn't seem to break PPM with AP CE build 1603 on Windows 32.

If your Perl config file can't be restored any other way, you may have to uninstall, delete the entire Perl directory manually, and then re-install.

App-Cpanminus is not developed with ActivePerl in mind, and supports concepts more appropriate for Perlbrew and Perl built from source.

ActivePerl ships the cpan module for custom installs.
http://www.activestate.com/blog/2010/10/how-install-cpan-modules-activeperl
criticism will install with cpan.