Installation - Chrome reports Komodo Edit "malicious"

Posted by gl on 2012-09-26 05:03
Forums: Komodo support | OS: Windows 7

After downloading the Komodo Edit 7.1.2 installer, Chrome blocks the download, saying it is "malicious". A security warning has to be overriden in order to install the software.

I don't know if signing the executable would help, but it would certainly be good practice. Looks like activestate.com has wound up on some blacklist, anyway.

hlslaughter | Wed, 2012-09-26 09:39

Certainly not very elegant.

thornharp | Fri, 2012-09-28 11:32

I've run into a strange problem with Komodo IDE 7 (@INC can't find libraries, aborts compilation, ALSO AFFECTS SCRIPTS RUN FROM CONSOLE?!?) -- fetched a fresh copy of IDE 7 to reinstall - got 'malicious' message from Chrome. New install of IDE 7 didn't fix the @INC problem, so I uninstalled 7, fetched a fresh copy of IDE 6 - same 'malicious' warning from Chrome, but with IDE 6 the @INC problem disappeared. ???

cgchoffman
ActiveState Staff
Fri, 2012-09-28 12:11

Could you created another post about the @INC problem you're having and perhaps elaborate?

Have you seen this issue in the forums or bugs list somewhere else?

Cheers,

- Carey

cgchoffman
ActiveState Staff
Fri, 2012-09-28 12:06

Thanks for pointing this out guys. I avoid Chrome so I've never seen this. Just tried it out with the latest Chrome and it is indeed flagging our products as malicious.

Looking into what we want to do about it now.

Cheers,

- Carey

toddw
ActiveState Staff
Tue, 2012-10-02 10:42

We've taken some steps with Google to remedy this problem - it should now be fixed. Let us know if you run into this problem again.

Thanks,
Todd

thornharp | Wed, 2012-10-03 11:16

I just got a notice in email of a purchase from ActiveState that I never made:

ActiveState Software Inc.

Your Purchase has been approved

This receipt confirms payment for your purchase from ActiveState Software Inc.. This order will appear on your credit card statement as ActiveState Software Inc.. To contact us, please send an e-mail to sales@activestate.com or call 778-786-1100.
Receipt

Transaction Time: Oct 01, 2012 11:40 AM
Gateway ID: 11102
Receipt Number: 1373452536.12A4
Sales Order Number: 6330
Transaction Type: eCommerce
Authorization Code: 184652

Billing Information

Name: TIMOTHY P FOX
Company (Optional):

Card Type:
AM
Card Number: -redacted -

Order Details

Code Quantity Description Unit Price Subtotal
Monexa 1 Monexa 87.00 87.00
US Dollar Total 87.00

cgchoffman
ActiveState Staff
Wed, 2012-10-03 12:47

Please contact sales@activestate.com immediately if you did not make this transaction.

- Carey

cgchoffman
ActiveState Staff
Wed, 2012-10-03 13:15

Go to Komodo Downloads link and compare the md5 and SHA sums against the installer you downloaded.

Please let us know immediately if you find inconsistencies. I am checking all Komodo downloads now.

- Carey

cgchoffman
ActiveState Staff
Wed, 2012-10-03 13:20

ALL installers for Komodo IDE/Edit on Windows, Mac and Linux have the correct checksum values. All current downloads provided by ActiveState from the following links show no signs of tampering:

- http://downloads.activestate.com/Komodo/releases/7.1.2/
- http://www.activestate.com/komodo-ide/downloads
- http://www.activestate.com/komodo-edit/downloads

- Carey

lvn | Thu, 2012-10-04 02:30

i got the same 'malicious' security warning while trying to download from chrome today.

cgchoffman
ActiveState Staff
Thu, 2012-10-04 15:26

Yes, the situation has not been resolved with Chrome labeling Komodo installers as Malicious. According to Google, it is being fixed.

Thanks for checking and letting us know.

Cheers,

- Carey

cgchoffman
ActiveState Staff
Fri, 2012-11-02 17:14

UPDATE

We are currently attempting to deal with Google support to have this resolved. Needless to say this is a slow, tedious, painful process but should be resolved eventually.

If you have doubts about the authenticity of our installers then please use the MD5 check-sum method which it's much more reliable than Google web crawling bots.

Cheers,

- Carey