Tk module no longer supported?

Posted by slugger415 on 2012-08-24 05:53

I've noticed that the Tk module is no longer supported on ActivePerl 5.14 and later. I have a script I wrote a few years ago that lots of new users want to use, but they're unable to install the module. What options do I have? Tell them to install an older version of Perl?

I see Tkx which I know nothing about. Is it possible to port my script over to Tkx? I also use Tk::Dialog and don't see that in any module list for Tkx.

ActiveState Staff
Tue, 2013-07-23 09:43

Our opinion is that PerlTk is an obsolete module.
-It's brittle and tends to break with every major Perl update.
-It's complex, difficult to understand, and therefore expensive for a developer to maintain.
-There are alternatives which have better feature sets and do not suffer from brittleness or complexity.
-Not everyone agrees, but there's a case to be made that PerlTk was an unnecessary duplication of effort.

There are still non-ActiveState PPM repositories where you can get PerlTk for current and recent releases, but neither they nor us do anything more than "provide" the module through PPM as a re-distribution service. Do not confuse availability in PPM with support. Those modules are supported by their authors, typically through CPAN's bug tracking facilities.

Tkx isn't the same as PerlTk, but they do share a common ancestor. There isn't a one-to-one correspondence with module functionality, because Tcl/Tk usually already has an internal function or a different module.