How to uninstall ActiveTcl on my mac?

Posted by sicne on 2012-08-20 03:30

Please help me in uninstalling ActiveTcl8.5.12.1 from my MacBook Pro (OS 10.7.4).

I tried with following information presented on your web page:

but no luck in doing so, since I can't find uninstall script.

I would really appreciate some help.

Thank You in advance.

ActiveState Staff
Mon, 2012-08-20 11:57

Script must be run with sudo. If your umask was restrictive when you installed, the script may need to be chmod 755 to make executable.

sicne | Tue, 2012-08-21 02:07

The problem that I am having is that I can't find script. Still haven't reached the phase where I uninstall it, since I even can't find the uninstall script.

In my Library folder, there are no Receipts folder, nor Frameworks folder.

What does then that mean?

Thank You for Your help

ActiveState Staff
Mon, 2012-08-27 13:42

Each UserID has a personal Library folder. This is *not* the same folder as the Library folder located at /Library.

You won't likely be able to use the explorer to navigate to /Library. Open up a Terminal window and use the command line. You need command line anyway as you will also need to use sudo to elevate permissions temporarily before you can uninstall.

sicne | Mon, 2012-08-27 15:27

Ok, this was helpful in finding the script.
I typed the command sudo as described on , and sudo asks me for my admin password, which i type and after hitting return key, it returns to me message that command is not found. Here is a copy/paste from my terminal window:

$ cd /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Resources/Scripts
$ sudo ./uninstall
sudo: ./uninstall: command not found

I thought that maybe script needs to be made chmod 755 executable, as You previously stated, so I typed:

$ chmod 755 ./uninstall

and it returned to me following:

chmod: Unable to change file mode on ./uninstall: Operation not permitted

Could You please help me now what am I doing wrong? I am new to mac, so everything is rather still complicated to me. Or at least direct me to what should I be googling, so I could find out how I should perform sudo command on ./unistall script.

Thank YOu very much in advance

ActiveState Staff
Wed, 2012-08-29 14:13

you also need sudo on the chmod

$ sudo chmod 755 ./uninstall | Fri, 2016-02-12 12:45

I am running OSX El Capitan.

The uninstall directory is not located at

ActiveState Staff
Tue, 2016-02-16 08:54

El Capitan is higher than Snow Leopard. Use the pattern described for Snow Leopard+

ninarose | Mon, 2018-01-01 14:04

Thanks for all the answers above, helped me get where I am. I made the uninstall a 755 executable and ran sudo ./uninstall. Now I am getting this:

dlopen(/usr/local/lib/libtk8.6.dylib, 6): Library not loaded: /opt/X11/lib/libXft.2.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/libtk8.6.dylib
Reason: image not found
while executing
"load /usr/local/lib/libtk8.6.dylib Tk"
("package ifneeded Tk 8.6.6" script)
invoked from within
"package require Tk"
(file "./uninstall" line 4)

What does that mean and what do I do? HALP please!