how to copy a module from one system to another

Posted by lyle on 2012-07-30 14:47
Forums: PPM | OS: Solaris SPARC

We've got a couple of Sparc Solaris 5.9 systems with ActivePerl 5.8.8 installed.

One system contains /opt/ActivePerl-5.8/site/lib/Date/EzDate.pm which is required by an ancient piece of our code. I stumbled across an entry in our perllocal.pod file that says Date::EzDate was dynamically linked on that machine in ~2008.

Is there a way I can tar up the EzDate.pm, move it to the other server, and link it into that ActivePerl?

I downloaded EzDate from CPAN, and the installation doc says in part "you can also just copy EzDate.pm into the Date/ directory of one of your library trees". So is it really that easy (create site/lib/Date and copy the pm file)?

Would I be better off doing "perl Makefile.pl; make" with the downloaded module, then use ActivePerl's ppm to install?

Sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks...Lyle

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Fri, 2012-08-10 10:34

If a module has any compiled binary component, moving it manually will not work. If a module requires configuration tweaks run in the makefile, moving if manually will also not work. Only in the case of a simple module which is entirely and purely Perl, will a manual move work.

EzDate is an old module. It may not have any of the metadata files that new modules are expected to include, so the pm file alone might be enough. Fortunately, Perl still has backward compatibility to use modules that don't meet the current set of standards.

Downloaded source code can't be used with PPM. PPM expects modules in a standard package form, and source code is not that.

You probably have a better option available with a rewrite.

EzDate is *really* old. The last update was in 2003. At that point, the author added this to the README:

-----------------------
SYNOPSIS

PLEASE NOTE: Date::EzDate is no longer under development or being
supported. The author of EzDate now himself uses the DateTime
module (http://search.cpan.org/dist/DateTime/) by Dave Rolsky.
DateTime addresses most of the issues that led to the original
development of EzDate, and also provides many features EzDate
doesn't (and was never intended to). If anybody would like to take
over development of Date::EzDate the author would be happy to turn
it over.
----------------------