PHP Debugging on Windows 7 in Komodo in 5 Minutes.

Posted by cgchoffman on 2012-05-28 15:03
OS: Windows 7 | Product: Komodo | tags: configure debug debugging komodo PHP WIndows 7
Question: 

Komodo won't use my PHP install for debugging! Why?

Answer: 

WARNING! Failed to configure PHP debugging.
WARNING! Could not determine PHP version number.

You might have seen these errors before. You were installing PHP on your system and trying to run it in Komodo. This FAQ is to help you jump some configuration hurdles. It's easier than you think...

• Download and unpack the Zipped PHP to your machine. I put it in C:\php\.
  • Configure Komodo to use PHP interpreter or put it on the PATH.
    • Direct Komodo to the PHP interpreter:
      • Edit->Preferences->Language->PHP:Use this interpreter.
      • Click Browse.
      • Navigate to the folder you unzipped PHP into.
      • Select php.exe and click Open.
      • Komodo will configure and let you know that Debugging is ready.
    • Add C:\php\ to your system PATH.
      • To confirm that PHP has configured properly using the System Path variable click Check Configuration on the Komodo Start page. PHP should get two brand new green check marks

There you go. Now start writing some PHP!

NOTE: You do NOT need the Debug Pack download for debugging in Komodo. Just download the Zip.

cgchoffman
ActiveState Staff
Mon, 2012-05-28 15:06

The above steps will not allow you to view the HTML rendered from the PHP files in a browser. You'll need a server to "server" the pages to do that.

If you also want to view pages to make sure they are rendering properly, you can install XAMPP on your computer, start the Apache server, drop your files in a folder in C:\xampp\htdocs\mywebsite, and find them in your browser at localhost\mywebsite\index.php (assuming you have an index.php file). Once you have XAMPP working you will be able to configure it to do Remote Debugging with Komodo if you care to. You'll want to use the XAMPP php.exe file in that case.

jobowo | Sun, 2017-01-15 13:13

I'm looking for a new PHP IDE. The one I've been using for years hasn't adapted to the high resolution screens on my new ASUS.

Perhaps its a matter of changing assumptions, but I can't fathom how to configure Komodo to debug--or really execute--PHP to produce browser output and the explanation above doesn't help. In my previous editor (and others I've tried), configuration is just a matter of pointing to the PHP executive (mine is PHP 7 but does that matter?) and to the localhost supplied by Apache, and that is usually just a matter of pointing to the C:/Program Files/Apache24/bin/httpd.exe. After than I just toggle between editor/preview to see the result (and any errors).

Yes, of course I can run these scripts in a browser, using localhost as the domain, I can't think that that's what you are suggesting.