mod_perl in PPM

Posted by lfoster@pcgus.com on 2012-05-01 07:19
Forums: PPM | OS: Windows Server 2003

All,
Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give on this. Our application runs using ActivePerl running under mod_perl with Apache and we're running into some issues when attempting to upgrade to a newer version of Perl (5.12.4 up from 5.8.9). When a user cancels their request (hits stop, clicks a different link, etc) and the web server has already started writing back to the user's browser, intermittently Apache will crash with the following error:

:Apache2 IO flush: (620018) APR does not understand this error code at -e line 0

Researching this, it appears to be an issue that has been resolved in the latest version of mod_perl (2.0.6) which was released on 4/24/2012, but I can't find this built in any PPM repository. I was wondering if there are any plans to include the pre-compiled mod_perl for Win32 in the ActiveState PPM repository at any point. I'm working on building the binaries myself for testing purposes, but I am somewhat leery of putting that into a production environment.

Thanks,
Lewis Foster

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Wed, 2012-05-02 15:41

We get this question from time to time, but PPM does not support mod_perl.

-mod_perl is an Apache module, rather than a Perl module. That places mod_perl outside the scope for PPM. In itself, this might be overcome if it was the only objection, but...
-Any pre-compiled versions of mod_perl would be dependent both on Perl version, and on Apache version, so there would need to be multiple versions of mod_perl available for any given version of Perl. PPM does not support this.