Getting Code Intelligence to work for Python 2.3 in Komodo Edit 6.1.3

Posted by ap123 on 2012-01-15 21:57
Forums: Komodo support | OS: OS X

I'm new to programming, so hopefully the answer is very obvious. I installed Komodo Edit 6.1.3 to use with Python 2.3. When using the editor, it does not auto-complete, etc. In Preferences, I have checked the boxes that should enable it. Is there something I need to download or link in order to enable this function? Feel free to be as pedantic as you want in answering. Thanks!

cgchoffman
ActiveState Staff
Mon, 2012-01-16 11:13

Morning Ap,

Did you configure Komodo to use your Python installs interpreter?

From your Start Page click Check Conifiguration. If you haven't configured anything you'll see a lot of red X's.

If there is a red X beside Python, click the gear to it's right to open Preferences then Languages->Python.

Under Use this interpreter is should say Find on Path. You can browse and find the python interpreter. The location of this file depends on what platform you're on.

-Carey

ap123 | Mon, 2012-01-16 18:10

Thanks a lot, Carey. I should have mentioned, however, that I'm using a Mac (OSX Lion). Is the "Check Configuration" option you mentioned available in the Mac version? I could not find it.
Also, I previously downloaded IDLE, which was the interpreter I had been using. That does not work when I select it from within preferences. Can you please point me in the right direction. Should I install a different interpreter, or is there a way to get the IDLE interpreter to work with Komodo?
-Andrew

cgchoffman
ActiveState Staff
Tue, 2012-01-17 10:52

Yes the Check Configuration is in Mac OSX. If you can't find the start page Click View->Start Page.

That isn't totally necessary though. You can also get to Preferences by clicking Komodo->Preferences->Languages->Python

IDLE is the Python editor that ships with Python:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/IDLE

It is not the Python interpreter. Please set the Python Interpreter to "Find on Path". Is there any reason why you're not using a newer version of Python? Python 2.7 for example?

ap123 | Tue, 2012-01-17 20:43

You're right, I checked and it's Python 2.7 I'm using. I can't figure out what to select for the Python interpreter. Can you tell me what I should be looking for? Thanks, and sorry for the obtuse questions.

cgchoffman
ActiveState Staff
Wed, 2012-01-18 12:44

Hey Ap,

Did you ever go to the Start Page->Check Configuration to see if your Python was broken before you changed your Python interpreter to IDEL? You are looking for a Green Checkmark beside Python in the Check Configuration page.

If there is a Red X click the GEAR symbol in that row, then in the Left column of the preferences window that appears click Languages->Python: make sure Default Python interpreter is set to "Find on path".

If it's set to something else change it to "Find on path" and restart Komodo then check the Check Configuration dialog again.

If that doesn't work you can explicitly set the path to the interpreter by clicking Browse:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python2.7 then click Open.

Restart Komodo and Check Configuration again.

ap123 | Mon, 2012-01-23 19:12

Hi Carey-
I seem to have got it up and running. Thanks a lot for your help and advice!!
-Andrew