How to change color of text and background which show documentation on <Ctl>-hover?

Posted by mitch on 2011-12-20 12:59

I'd like to change the colors of the text and background in which the documentation appears when I -hover. Does that element have a name in Edit..Preferences..Fonts and Colors?

cgchoffman
ActiveState Staff
Tue, 2011-12-20 15:02

hey Mitch,

This is not editable in Preferences.

You'll want to take a look at this FAQ:
http://community.activestate.com/faq/customizing-komodo-ui

-Carey

mitch | Tue, 2011-12-20 19:12

Thanks. Any idea what that box is called that appears on -hover? Or how that is discoverable> It seems like the DOM inspector might have trouble identifying it since it only is visible on -hover.

cgchoffman
ActiveState Staff
Wed, 2011-12-21 13:12

In your DOM inspector it should show up as panel and the element ID is: hyperlink_gotodefinition_tooltip.

If you find it there you will also see class: light, so :
hyperlink_gotodefinition_tooltip.light.
This is attributed to the scheme you choose in Preferences:Fonts and Colors. There is a hyperlink_gotodefinition_tooltip.dark as well.

You can edit this element by using the userChrome.css technique described in the link provided above.

In the userChrome.css file try:

#hyperlink_gotodefinition_tooltip.light {
    background-color: #FFFFFF !important;
}
#hyperlink_gotodefinition_tooltip.dark {
    background-color: #C9C9C9 !important;
}

Cheers,

-Carey

mitch | Sat, 2011-12-31 08:22

I added that and it improved the color, but, besides the -hover tootip, an additional and annoying tooltip of whatever I selected started appearing. This interferes with selecting right button menu items.

I guess there is not a more rapidly iterable method of fiddling around with this type of style adjustment? The current process for me is 1. guess what the name of an element is that I want to change (and this step is impossible), 2. change the css file, 3. restart Komodo.

Perhaps a visual interface like Firebug or Chrome developer tools? Although I don't know how I would discover the hover styles using those.

toddw
ActiveState Staff
Wed, 2012-01-11 13:32

You can both inspect and change CSS quickly through the DOM Inspector tool:
http://community.activestate.com/xpi/dom-inspector

Cheers,
Todd

mitch | Wed, 2012-01-11 15:08

I've used it, but I was hoping for something more like Firebug where if I don't know the name of an element, it highlights its html when I hover over it.

Or maybe I just don't understand the way to use the DOM inspector to discover the names of the elements whose CSS I would like to change.

toddw
ActiveState Staff
Wed, 2012-01-11 19:05

It's not as nice as Firebug, but you can click on the "Find a node" toolbar button in Dom Inspector, then click on an element in Komodo and it'll locate/show you that particular element.

Cheers,
Todd