Perl installtion using nmake is very slow

Posted by kempofighter on 2011-10-27 17:42
Forums: PPM | OS: Windows XP Pro

First of all, I'm very new to perl programming, but I am an experienced C++ programmer. So I am not new to programming concepts but have not ever done any serious perl programming. I am attempting to learn how to install perl modules and to use the PPM service.

I noticed that the installation of a module using nmake takes very long (more than 5 minutes per command). is that normal?

I also noticed that I may have made a mistake with the PPM GUI. I tried entering a new repository and it seemed like it just hung for 10 minutes. I think I pointed it to a really big CPAN respository but I didn't know that there would not be any way to cancel that. Is there a way to find the respository inputs outside of the GUI so that I can remove that info, and try again? It doesn't give error messages so I assume that it is working but just taking a long time. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Mon, 2011-11-21 10:24

From the GUI, you can Edit|Preferences|Repositories
http://docs.activestate.com/activeperl/5.14/faq/ActivePerl-faq2.html#ppm...

Once there you can temporarily disable repositories, or remove them from the search path entirely.

That delay is the PPM client syncing up with the repository index file. The delay will depend on the size of the repository being scanned, and the speed of your connection to that repository. You can expect PPM to resync once a day, usually on the first startup.