Your submission has triggered the spam filter and will not be accepted

Posted by jasond on 2011-08-25 19:04

Sigh... "Your submission has triggered the spam filter and will not be accepted." After getting this literally 12 times, before removing most of my post, and finally being accepted, and after entering 2 captchas in that time... I am annoyed.

First, the post was linking to a bug database -- this site itself. If the spam filter thinks this is bad, then it is horribly stupid. I am hoping that link wasn't the reason, but after 12 tries, I started deleting from the post.

Second, I already entered a Captcha. That's what the Captcha is for -- to say I'm real.

Third, I am a registered user. The registration can impose limits to stop bots, but those of us who are here already are fine, since we're human. If an account gets out of hand, you can ban it.

Fourth, even if all of the above wasn't true, the spam issue is an issue with the site, and the site is responsible for it, not the users. I understand the difficulty of dealing with spam, I used to run a forum, but this is a job of the site, and the problem cannot be considered solved by pushing it to the users. The site itself really can deal with this issue on its own. There are plenty of options.

Jason Doucette

ActiveState Staff
Mon, 2011-08-29 12:38