Problem upgrading from 5.12 to 5.14

Posted by anakunda on 2011-08-19 07:46

Let me report a bug in this version. After successfull installation the perl interpreter crashes on running user script (not responding).
Observed on OS Windows 7 64bit.
Reverted back on 5.12 which works fine.

anakunda | Thu, 2011-09-15 00:45

I fully uninstalled Perl 5.12, then installed 5.14 but still I have problem.
The perl interpreter runs ok for simple hello world script which includes no modules.
If I try to run own script that uses 3rd party modules and my own module too, perl.exe stops responding. I think there's something bad with module repository. If I run PPM in the View installed packages only (Ctrl+2) I see NO modules, which I find to be wrong completely.
My PERLLIB points to
PERLLIB=C:\Users\Anakunda\Documents\perl\lib;D:\develop\Perl\site\lib\;D:\develop\Komodo\lib\support\dbgp\perllib\;D:\develop\Perl\lib\;

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Thu, 2011-09-15 10:56

What is in C:\Users\Anakunda\Documents\perl\lib. and how did you put it there?

If this directory contains any modules compiled against Perl 5.12, 5.10, or 5.8, you could expect crashes.

PERLLIB var is *not* the same as the local repository tree. PPM would be entirely blind to any modules installed in C:\Users\Anakunda\Documents\perl\lib, however Perl would not be. In fact, the way you have it set, Perl will use those libraries in preference to any it ships with, or installs from PPM. This would be fatal if the modules in this directory are incompatible.

When you change to a new major version number of Perl, you will need to recompile any custom modules. If your third-party modules were downloaded in a pre-compiled and ready to run state, you will need to investigate if a version compatible with Perl 5.14 is available. Otherwise, if you compiled those third-party modules locally, they will also need to be recompiled against Perl 5.14.

PERLLIB or PERL5LIB are not required by ActivePerl, however they are both still accepted. You need to be very careful if you use these vars that any content in those directories is compatible.

anakunda | Wed, 2011-09-14 05:48

No, not really. The installer didnot complain about previous version. Is this necessary?

yes
grahams
ActiveState Staff
Thu, 2011-09-15 10:58

See my reply above regarding binary compatibility of modules to Perl versions.