ASPN Safari books online kindle support?

Posted by kkroel on 2011-08-12 12:16

Has anyone been able to access the ASPN Safari books online feature with a Kindle, or know if it is even possible?

I have a license to ActivePerl Pro Studio, which gives me access to Safari Books Online through ASPN. Is there a way to access this feature from a Kindle DX? From the Kindle DX, I am able to log in to the ASPN page, select my license, and then highlight the "Safari bookshelf" link, but when I click on it nothing happens. I was also unable to log in to directly. I get the same result with Javascript and images enabled or disabled on the Kindle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

kkroel | Tue, 2011-08-16 15:42

Here is the email reply from Safari Books Online. Based on this it sounds like we are unable to access our ActiveState Safari Books Online feature using a Kindle.

To ActiveState support, are there any plans on modifying the web link to SBO so we can access it from a Kindle? I'm sure there are many other subscribers/licensees who would love to be able to read their AS SBO books via their Kindle.

Hello Ken,

Thank you for contacting Safari Customer Support.

Am I correct in understanding that you are able to access your Safari account on the Kindle, but not the books? Or is this a link from ActiveState to reach your Safari books? The browser on the Kindle does not support redirected URL hops when they are designed to open a new tab (the Kindle doesn't support multiple tabs).

Also, ActiveState accounts are only able to gain access to Safari books through the ActiveState web site. ActiveState accounts do not have direct login credentials for Safari.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns, I'd be glad to help. Thanks!

Best regards,

Scott Buka
Technical Support
Safari Books Online

daleinwichita | Tue, 2011-11-01 07:38

Here's a vote (request) for access to our ActiveState Safari Books Online account via the "Safari To Go" app on the iPad.

ActiveState Staff
Wed, 2012-12-05 12:16

The 'Safari to go' mobile app must be installed first.

Use the tablet's native Internet browser to navigate to your Account page on our site:

Under your Pro Studio License tab is a link to Safari Books online. From there, you will see a large button to launch the 'Safari to go' mobile app.

Done in this order, the credentials will be handed off correctly.