AT refusing to be installed in C:\Program Files\Tcl - Windows 64-bit.

Posted by buchs on 2011-07-20 17:02

Despite my best attempts at installing the c:\Program Files\Tcl directory doesn't seem possible. I tried a number of variations, checked permissions, etc. One interesting quirk was that when I put in the path name (or picked it up via the browse button) it would have the windows back-slashes. It would fail the first time with the message that I didn't have access to the path or there was a directory error, but then it would convert all the backslashes to forward slashes. This may be a clue as to the nature of the problem. When I try again, with the converted pathname, I get the same response. I finally installed to C:\Tcl .

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Thu, 2011-07-21 08:40

If you are a "normal" user, you will not have access to write system directories.

Windows will allow a "normal" user to create C:\Tcl, so that works for you.

If you want to install to a system directory, you must right click the ActiveTcl installer, and "Run as Administrator" to get the elevated permissions. With Vista and newer, this is what we recommend anyway, regardless of the path you want to install ActiveTcl on, as installing with elevated priviledge will also allow the registry changes that map .tcl extensions and will configure the uninstaller database, making removing ActiveTcl later on easier.

Backslash vs forward slash is a red herring, as Tcl is able to translate freely between them based on the platform.

buchs | Fri, 2011-07-22 09:17

I was installing with Administrator rights.

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Wed, 2012-07-11 09:18

A normal user, even one with Administrator rights, *will not* be able to write a system directory when they run the exe installer.

In order to satisfy the Windows UAC conditions on Windows Vista and newer releases, it is necessary to right click the installer and "Run as Administrator" as described above.