DateTime doesn't depend on Class-Singleton and Class-Load, and yet, won't run without them?

Posted by tgp1994 on 2011-07-15 10:27
Forums: PPM | OS: All / Any

Greetings everyone,

I just want to start off by saying that the whole world of Perl is rather new to me. As such, I may be completely wrong when I say that there may be an error with the dependencies of the DateTime package, so please bear with me.

I'm installing Bugzilla right now, which among many things, requires the DateTime (0.70) package. I went into PPM (running on Windows Server 2003 SP2 with ActivePerl 5.12.4.1205, I might add), and I went ahead and installed it (along with any dependencies automatically selected).

I went into the install script for Bugzilla, which told me that an Attempt to reload DateTime.pm was aborted. I later found out that I could find broken dependencies by typing perl -M(package name) -e1, and doing so with DateTime, I found that it couldn't locate Class/Singleton.pm and Class/Load.pm. I'm still going, there may be more.

I'm curious now, why does DateTime install without automatically requiring those two packages, while it seems like it does require them?

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Thu, 2012-03-15 10:47

PPM uses YAML files supplied by a module's author to install dependencies. Sometimes, authors do not include modules which are conditional (only required in some situations) dependencies in the dependency list. Sometime they just forget modules. Not all modules conform with the CPAN standards. In some cases, there are no YAML files at all. So, the reasons for missing dependencies can vary.