How to extract or install headless?

Posted by emmenlau on 2017-11-22 07:06

The documentation mentions a zip bundle that can be used by non-Adminstrators for
installation on Windows. I could not find such a zip bundle.

Furthermore I fail to install or extract ActivePerl headless. According to the documentation
there should be options /extract:Folder and /exenoui. But /exenoui does not hide the progress
bar for me! And /extract:Folder does not extract to "Folder" but to a cryptic named
directory "BDFHFH"!

Can you please help?

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Fri, 2017-11-24 11:00

Customised installers, such as zip file, are available with an ActivePerl Enterprise license.

There are also a number of legacy products that have zip installers available. For these you need a Business Edition license.

All current free ActivePerls do not have zip installers, and are provided as .exe format only.

The options offered by the "help" from the .exe installer come from hooks provided by the installer wrapping tool which creates the .exe files. Most of these options are unimplemented inside the actual installation code. There are only a few that do anything.

See "Running the ActivePerl Setup Wizard on the command line" in the online docs:
http://docs.activestate.com/activeperl/5.26/get/windows/

Note: Most of our ActivePerl installers for 64-bit Windows will only allow you to extend the default installation path of \Perl64 . You cannot completely override it. This is a design limitation in place to allow side-by-side installations of both 32-bit and 64-bit Perls and minimize the chances that they will be installed in a way that will break both versions. This limitation will likely remain in place until we end support for 32-bit Windows.

Second Note: Make sure you are familiar with the terms of the current Community Edition EULA.
Headless installations are most often used in support of a use case that will require OEM or Business Edition licenses.