old version

Posted by fpefpe on 2017-07-27 18:13

I have a software requirement for version 3.1 of active python -- does anyone know where I can
find this download?

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Mon, 2017-07-31 11:23

When there are two newer versions available for the free downloads, old downloads are removed to the back catalog and can only be downloaded with a paid license.

Are you sure you need that version? The very newest release of 3.1 is now 7 years old and no longer considered secure. In most respects any new Python 3 should work in the place of Python 3.1.

fpefpe | Mon, 2017-07-31 12:57

Hello --

Thanks for you reply. The issue is the way the DLL (windows) are named. I have a dependency on a dll called python31.dll -- so the a newer version would not due. Had there been a thought of creating a bridge dll -- say python.dll do when python's api is used there is no dependency on one version?

I already found out what a license would cost and it way (way) beyond the scope of my needs

thanks

fpefpe

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Tue, 2017-08-01 10:04

Python binaries are incompatible across each point release, by design. You couldn't take a python25.dll, drop it into a python 2.4 release to replace the old dll, and upgrade it to 2.5.

It's gets worse if the differences between Python 2 and Python 3 have to be accommodated. Python.dll wouldn't have enough information to allow two versions to co-exist, and couldn't really work as a transition piece anyway.

You can probably find what you need from Python.org if you dig through their unsupported releases.

fpefpe | Tue, 2017-08-01 10:31

Hello -- thanks for your reply --

I under stand the issue between v2.x and v3.x but the issue is when there is a v3.1 then v3.5 or
anytime tjhe "x" changes -- as I recall tcl/tk supports some sort of bridge dll -- it would be nice if the other languages do the same