ActivePerl DBI connection - Windows 2016 / SQL 2016 DBI module

Posted by joseph.cortese@siemens.com on 2016-11-10 12:16

My new test environment is Windows 2016 / SQL 2016 . The older version of Perl and DBI does not allow connection to SQL server. Error message is
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Invalid string or buffer length (SQL-S109)

I am attempting to download the newest DBI module but message indicates my account does not have permissions. I do not have a business license either.

Can someone tell me if ActivePerl supports connection to SQL on the platform I described?

Thanks
Joseph

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Mon, 2016-11-14 10:46

ActivePerls do not officially support Server 2016 yet as all the releases to date (November 14, 2016) shipped before Server 2016 was released. You should not plan on using any current ActivePerl for anything more than beta testing with Server 2016.

There have been similar errors in the past when the DBI-ODBC was expecting an ODBC driver that is incompatible with the latest versions. That's possibly what you're encountering, and the answer is likely to be exactly what you're trying. Business Edition might help, but if your Perl version is more than a couple of years old, the repository might be frozen already and it will never get the latest drivers in PPM. Frankly, if Server 2016 is in your future, you're going to have to stop using your current Perl and upgrade to 5.22.3 or higher (unreleased), 5.24.1 or higher (unreleased), or some future 5.26.1 release anyway.