Running tclsh86 under cygwin doesn't show prompt

Posted by mrmiket on 2016-09-07 10:00

I have ActiveTcl 8.6 installed on my Windows7 PC. I also have latest cygwin installed.

I open the cygwin terminal, and execute tclsh86 with:

$ /cygdrive/c/Tcl/bin/tclsh86

No prompt is shown, but it appears the tclsh86 is running as expected: I can execute tcl scripts, and the output from the scripts is displayed.

I need to get the prompt to display (my eventual aim is to run tclsh86 using pexpect from python under cygwin; for this to work the expect() function needs to be able to see the prompt...)

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here? Shouldn't the prompt simply appear?

BTW, if I run tclsh86 from a Windows command window, the "%" prompt appears as expected.

Also, I saw there was an old discussion about this: http://code.activestate.com/lists/activetcl/1055/ But this didn't have any solution. It just stated that it should work fine... However, I'm seeing this exact same issue.

Thanks for any suggestions
Mike

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Thu, 2016-09-08 11:25

The prompt issue is a known one. There is no resolution except to use ActiveTcl natively in Windows and Cygwin Tcl if you must run under Cygwin.

mrmiket | Thu, 2016-09-08 12:25

OK, thanks for letting me know. Any chance their might be an update soon which fixes this? =:-S

Hmmm, now I'm stuck... Need to think of some other way to go.

Thx
Mike

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Fri, 2016-09-09 11:03

Cygwin is a platform unique to itself. It's neither pure Linux nor Windows. We don't ship any products that are supported for Cygwin.