License question for research use

Posted by jeffetw on 2016-08-26 05:57

Would use of ActivePerl for life science research (running the Trans-Proteomic Pipeline software) on a US government campus fall under the community license or would a business/enterprise license be required?



ActiveState Staff
Mon, 2016-08-29 10:54

Assuming you aren't running ActivePerl on a live server as defined below, or distributing it, you should be fine. This is how Production Use is defined:

Production use, for the sake of ActivePerl/ActivePython/ActiveTcl, includes any machine that serves up production or “live” applications or runs automated processes for those production applications that are used by external customers, partners, consumers, or internal staff. Non-production use includes individual IT or developers’ desktops, development servers, QA/test servers, staging servers, and back-up servers, or automated processes for those servers.

jeffetw | Thu, 2016-09-01 05:18

Yes, I would be running it on a desktop and nothing would be distributed.