Does PDK 9.5 PerlApp compile ActivePerl 5.22 apps on Mac OSX?

Posted by eddyjpn on 2016-06-04 21:56
Forums: PDK Support | OS: OS X

I recently downloaded PDK- in the hope that I could use it to compile apps on OS X (10.9 Mavericks or later) using ActivePerl 5.22. I've used earlier versions of PDK with Perl 5.18 without issue.

The documentation says that PDK 9.5 is supposed to work with Perl 5.22 but when I try to compile a simple helloworld app, I get an error that "PDK 9.5 is not compatible with the current version of Perl".

Can someone confirm if PDK 9.5 really works with ActivePerl 5.22 on OS X? If so, what tricks (if any) did you use to compile a perlapp standalone.

ActiveState Staff
Mon, 2016-06-06 07:54

There's a few things to watch for:

1) Are you using a Perl that is not ActivePerl (ie, Strawberry Perl, ? If so, it won't work. PDK only works with ActivePerl.

2) The PATH variable on OSX needs to be set to point the bin/ folder of where you installed ActivePerl. The ActivePerl installer does not set the PATH variable during installation. See the link on how to set it for OSX.

eddyjpn | Mon, 2016-06-06 09:20

Thank you for the quick reply. Let me answer you questions:

1) Are you using a Perl that is not ActivePerl?

No. I'm using ActivePerl 5.22

2) The PATH variable on OSX needs to be set to point the bin/ folder of where you installed ActivePerl.

Yes, I'm doing this following the instructions given in the ActivePerl install guide:

$ export PATH=/usr/local/ActivePerl-5.22/bin:$PATH
$ export PATH=/usr/local/ActivePerl-5.22/site/bin:$PATH

When I set install ActivePerl 5.18 and set the path to that, PDK 9.5 works fine. But, when I delete everything, and repeat the install with ActivePerl 5.22, I get the error that PDK is not compatible.

So, does this mean that PDK 9.5 really does work with ActivePerl 5.22 on OSX systems and it's just a problem on my system?

ActiveState Staff
Tue, 2016-06-07 08:19

Yes, and the problem is not your system, but the order you've installed ActivePerl 5.22 and PDK.

PDK only links with ActivePerl during PDK's installation. Changing the version of ActivePerl alone will not affect this link. You need to re-install PDK in order to link it to V5.22.

halak | Fri, 2016-08-19 04:01

I have the same problem.
1. I tried uninstalling Active Perl and PDK.
2. Installed Active Perl
3. set PATH to Active Perl location.
4. Installed PDK.

b. I also tried setting launcher (launchctl) PATH with no luck.

In addition, In the perlapp gui I cannot select my perl installation.

It is very annoying, in other installations (Solaris, Linux) the installer queries me for the correct perl installation. Not sure why you changed that.

halak | Fri, 2016-08-19 08:19

I tried installing ActiveState Perl 5.22.1 and it works as expected.

eddyjpn | Mon, 2016-08-22 08:44

We know ActiveState Perl 5.22 can be installed. The question is "Does PDK 9.5 PerlApp compile ActivePerl 5.22 apps"?

Your comment seems unrelated to this question.

halak | Tue, 2016-09-06 03:58

PDK will not compile apps with activestate 5.22.2, but it does with 5.22.1 !

eddyjpn | Tue, 2016-09-06 09:26

Ah, I see. That's very interesting to hear.