Problems selecting /Library Tcl framework instead of /System/Library Tcl framework

Posted by new_programmer on 2015-10-16 11:44

My end goal is to be able to use TkTreeCtrl, and I read using ActiveStateTcl was the easiest option as both brew and macports don't show any available TkTree packages.

I've installed ActiveState Tcl 8.5 and 8.6 on OSX 10.9. When I run a script to print the Tcl patchlevel being used, it returns 8.5.18 which is the version located in /System/Library/Framework/Tcl.framework. How can I get it to select the ActiveStateTcl/Tk located in /Library/Framework/Tcl.framework?

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Mon, 2015-10-19 10:08

You should set up a .profile or .bash_profile to put ActiveTcl on the PATH ahead of the system Tcl.
http://docs.activestate.com/activetcl/8.6/at.install.html#install

new_programmer | Wed, 2015-10-21 19:26

I did this but am still having the same problem of it not recognizing Tcl8.6 instead of OSX's default 8.5, specifically not being able to use TkTreeCtrl. I verified using "printenv PATH" that /usr/local/bin is included first. What am I doing wrong?

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Wed, 2015-10-28 10:08

If you're using Tkinter, you can't use an 8.6. You'll need an ActiveTcl 8.5.18 installed as the default Tcl/Tk.

paulus | Sat, 2017-08-19 01:49

I have a Mac osx 10.11 and download Python 3.5.4 and prior 3.6.2 as it don't work.
I downloaded since it request activeTcl to be installed so i downloaded : Activetcl 8.6.6.

when i go to the application and open the active tcl folder there is the installer tclvfse.
i clicked on it and the same error:

Fatal error:

can't find package tclcarbonprocesses 1.1. while exciting etc
complied -- no source
etc no source code

what can i do? thanks

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Mon, 2017-08-21 11:11

That's a tool, which was originally in the Tcl Dev Kit.

It's the Tcl Virtual FileSystem Explorer.
http://docs.activestate.com/activetcl/8.6/tcl/vfse/TclVFSE.html
It was last available in 8.6.4.1.

If you have a tclvfse file, you haven't removed the previous version(s) of ActiveTcl, and you're seeing errors because the older versions are not compatible with OS X 10.11.

On Snow Leopard and higher the uninstall script is installed under /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions//Resources/Scripts/uninstall. You will need to sudo and may have to reset the permissions to allow the file to be executed.
If you're not clear which ActiveTcls you have, it may be best to do a "Clean Sweep". Run sudo su - and manually remove /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework and Tk.framework, plus the links under /usr/local/ and the documentation under /Library/Documentation/Help/