Install w/o admin rights

Posted by rovf on 2014-10-13 23:56

Is it possible to install Tcl on a Windows PC, without having admin rights? If yes, how?

ActiveState Staff
Wed, 2014-10-15 09:05

ActiveTcl should allow being installed without admin rights, recognizing that it doesn't have permissions to write to specific areas. Did you try to do the install as a regular user and find something specifically didn't work?

rovf | Thu, 2014-10-16 04:54

Actually, it can't. I think the reason is that the installer wants to make changes to the registry, and to place itself inside c:\Program Files(x86)

Maybe the installer can be run in a certain way by installing Tcl in a portable way, but I didn't find any documentation for this.

ActiveState Staff
Wed, 2014-10-15 09:35

Yes, it's possible to install as a standard user, but what you get afterwards is dependent on what a standard user is allowed to do, and as a result, varies significantly from one version of Windows to the next. The newer the version of Windows, the more restricted the standard user becomes, and on Windows 7+ the result is noticeably less usable.

In order to get a consistent result, you'll need to right-click the installer executable, and select "Run as Administrator", even if you are already a member of the Administrator group.

rovf | Thu, 2014-10-16 04:57

Well, the point is, that I'm looking for a version of Tcl which does NOT require an administrator; one which could be put on a USB stick, for example, and be able to run from there.