Perl 5.16.3 and IIS 7.5 Performance issues under load RESOLVED

Posted by questeforms on 2014-10-03 14:21

I am running Perl 5.16.3 on IIS 7.5 and was running into a big performance issue under load. I worked through this problem for a couple of months with user testing and multiple versions of Perl. I found that Perl 5.6 was less demanding and did not display the performance issues as much but they were still there.

I began using JMeter to benchmark what the users were indicating to me and I found that after about 10 concurrent users the performance would degrade.

The solution turned out to disable Symantec Endpoint Protection. As soon as it was disabled the performance under 30 concurrent users was 4 times faster from about 4.5 seconds to .9 seconds. It is not acceptable to keep Endpoint disabled so I am currently researching what needs to be done to allow Endpoint to be enabled while still keeping my performance.

I hope this helps someone from spending as much time as I did trying to solve this issue. It was difficult to solve partly because the issue only happened when under load.

questeforms | Wed, 2014-10-08 11:12

I know that disabling Symantec Endpoint Protection fixes the issue. The problem is disabling is not an option. I am having trouble finding what to configure so Endpoint can be enabled.

ActiveState Staff
Mon, 2015-06-22 11:23

It sounds like the 5.16 Perl is not on the list of trusted files. Endpoint Protection has whitelisting by fingerprint list. An unknown file will get scanned every time it starts.