Can't find number-format package

Posted by bhrd on 2014-09-25 15:14
Forums: PPM | OS: Windows 7

I have been using ActiveState Perl for several years. I recently received a new computer, and installed ActiveState Perl 5.18.2. I then went to add the packages I use, and was able to add all of them except "number-format", which didn't show up in the package manager. Is that package no longer supported, or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you.

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Fri, 2014-09-26 07:47

It may be abandoned. The newest version is five years old now. CPAN shows several bugs that have been open more than three years, including one where in April 2011, the author stated there would be a fix in v 1.74. It's not a good sign that v 1.74 has yet to be released, so researching an alternative might be prudent.

Our PPM index page shows an interesting pattern for that module. It's older, so only one version has been tried with Perl > 5.10, and for all of them, the build log link doesn't work.

That's an indication that since 5.10, Number::Format has only been built for those Perls in the slipstream of another module that specifically requires it.

Since that's the universal pattern after 5.12 shipped, it may mean either the 5.18 version of the mystery module has dropped Number::Format in favour of something else, or that the mystery module(s) which needs Number::Format hasn't successfully built on 5.18 either.

bhrd | Sat, 2014-09-27 14:48

Thank you for finding that out for me. I had looked at CPAN and had seen it there, but didn't realize it wasn't current. I made my own subroutine to replace what I was using it for. I'm sure it isn't as elegant as the original code, but it works.

Thank you again.