ActivePerl 5.18.x persisting bug + packages upgrade script request

Posted by anakunda on 2014-02-28 03:01

Hello,
I tried yesterday update to newest AP 5.18.2.1801 and have not succeed to get it working.
Firstly uninstalled completely previous perl. Then new install to the same directory, and perl is crashing on most of my existing scripts that were working with perl 5.16. I think the bug which was already present in AP 5.18.1 is still present (wrong linkage to perl516.dll). Anyway I didnot manage any of 5.18 perls fully functional and I did update this software many times. So I assume there's something wrong with all 5.18 builds.

Second question is about updating procedure. It's clear that every AP update requires removing previous version before installing. I find this atleast unfortunate since partly because the hassle self and partly because not transferrable PPM repository (it is destroyde on previous version uninstall). So I wanted to suggest: either make Activeperl updatable/or downgradable/ seamlessly, meant that only I need the installer whic will manage everything necessary in one pass. Or if this not manageable, at least provide an easy way for tranferring old 3rd party modules to new version (including they're registered in PPM repository and integrated PerlDoc pages)

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Fri, 2014-02-28 10:20

If you're getting any warning about linkages to perl516.dll, you still have libraries in PERL5LIB, PERLLIB, Perl/lib, or Perl/site/lib that are left-overs from your old installation. The uninstaller will not destroy the old library tree; it will only remove the parts which are listed in the original installer manifest.

Perl is intentionally binary incompatible from one major version to the next. The only way to make XS modules compatible with a new major version is to recompile them. The forum has a tip for building a shopping list of modules before you upgrade, but if you are PPM user without a compiler, that's the best you can do.

http://community.activestate.com/node/10420

oliasofsunhillow | Sun, 2015-03-01 11:12

Any suggestions on what we can do about it ?. I have the same problem and agree with the user above. I expected to uninstall my previous Perl and then simply install the new version. Should we uninstall and then delete all perl folders on our C drive before installing the new Perl ?

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Mon, 2015-03-02 08:54

Yes you are expected to manually remove the directories that are not removed by the uninstaller. Those are the directions in the Installation Guide.