Upgrading from 5.8.822 to 5.16.x

Posted by day_one on 2014-01-30 04:50

Hello all,

I work for a company which is currently using AP 5.8.822 on their 2003 box and have quite a few Perl scripts. I see in the AS 5.16 documentation, it says build 16xx is incompatible with previous version's binaries, though I'm not sure what that entails.

If we were to upgrade to 5.16.x as I have on my PC, would it break all of the existing Perl scripts written and used in the 5.8.822 environment? I would like to upgrade so I can use the remove_tree function and output to a scalar variable for logging purposes, as opposed to just the spray and pray of rmtree.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Thu, 2014-02-06 09:45

means that you have to replace all of the Perl, and Perl modules which have been compiled. Modules have to be removed and replaced with versions that have been compiled against the new Perl, even if the module code remains the same revision.

If it's not compiled, and your Perl scripts are unlikely to be compiled, then it can be re-used. Old code generally runs, although you may get complaints or deprecation warnings if you're doing something in a very old-school manner.