perl-ldap (0.57)

Posted by aputilin on 2013-10-24 19:26
Forums: PPM | OS: Windows XP Pro

Hello ActiveState community,

I'am trying to download perl-ldap (0.57) package for Windows 32-bit from Active State PPM.
Although this package does not have a "lock" next to it, it still asks me for Active State Business Edition username and password which I do not have.

This package v0.57 is available from the CPAN website for free. However it is only for Linux platform.

Can somebody advise how to download this package from ActiveState PPM site. I am new to ActiveState and so far my experience has been struggling to obtain basic Perl library modules like LDAP.

Thanks,
Albert

mkriek | Wed, 2013-11-06 10:07

There is no "linux" version, there is compiled and source, PPM is just installling pre-compiled packaged, but you can compile them yourself also, so go get the package from CPAN

The process to compile the source is the same on windows or linux, the commands might seem foreign on windows though.

gunzip perl-ldap-*.**.tar.gz
  tar xvf perl-ldap-*.**
  cd perl-ldap-*.**
  perl Makefile.PL
  make
  make test
  make install

If you don't have any linux emulated tools to do the gunzip or tar commands, you can extract the .tar out of the package with 7zip or WinRAR. Then extract the folder out of the .tar with 7zip or WinRAR which has lots of files as seen below.

Next you want to open up a command line and cd to the folder where those files are.
We want to run the Makefile.PL and let it do the rest,

> perl Makefile.PL
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for Net::LDAP
Writing MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json

You probably don't have make, so try dmake
^ If you don't have dmake already try "ppm install dmake"

> dmake

lots of cp commands...

> dmake test
Files=24, Tests=721, 12 wallclock secs ( 0.11 usr + 0.25 sys = 0.36 CPU)
Result: PASS

> dmake install
lots of installing...

If it doesn't complain about any major errors you should be finished. You'll want to compile and install any dependancies you know of aswell, then go try out the module(s)