Relocating ActiveState Perl 5.8.8 and PPM database

Posted by mgumbley on 2008-10-02 02:37
Forums: PPM | OS: Windows

Hi,
Rather than run the installer on each of our development computers, we typically copy our development tools to a network file server, then have an update script that ensures that everyone's individual computer has the latest from the server.

I installed ActiveState Perl 5.8.8 via the installer to c:\perl, then copied this to \\server\tools\perl\v5.8.8. The scripts would then copy this from the server to e:\workspace\lib\tools\perl\v5.8.8 in individual computers.

I then rename c:\perl out of the way so I know I'm picking up the e:\workspace... version.

Running Perl from that location after the update shows @INC is as I'd expect - E:/workspace/lib/tools/PERL/v5.8.8/site/lib E:/workspace/lib/tools/PERL/v5.8.8/lib . and small scripts I write (that use e.g. Data::Dumper) work.

However, ppm doesn't seem to relocate cleanly - if I run ppm, it notices the "new" areas (i.e. the relocated ones), but shows the old ones in c:\perl - and keeps recreating the c:\perl directory.

What is the correct way to completely relocate perl and the ppm database? Or should everyone just run the installer?

Many thanks in advance,
Matt Gumbley