problem installing 5.10 on MAC OS X

Posted by ninthprince on 2008-08-26 08:12

Hi,

I am new to Mac (longtime Windows user). I am trying to install ActivePerl 5.10. Everything seems to go fine, but I can't find the program in my Applications area. I saw something in the documentation that suggested it might have installed into my user area, so I looked there and I can find the ActivePerl image file, but not the program itself. There is also a 100 mb file (or so) that when I click on it just get me the installation page again.

I have downloaded and installed other software (that went into my Applications area), so I'm not sure what's going on with ActivePerl. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

mail08@flacco.com | Wed, 2008-08-27 12:51

It is the /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.10 directory. OS X finder usually doesn't let you see this and many other hidden directories but if you use terminal you can go to it.

flanked | Thu, 2008-08-28 16:20

Hello, World!

I'm a freshman college student just enrolled in my school's 100-level programming course, which just happens to be Perl. Now, I've successfully used ActiveState Perl on my Boot Camp partition of Windows XP, but I find it a real pain to switch over to Windows every time I want to try out a little code. Thus, I'm attempting to figure out Perl for OSX.

Similar to ninthprince above here, I've "installed" the ActiveState Perl .dmg for my Mac, but I seem unable to proceed from there. I have no experience whatsoever in using the Terminal app, so I'd really appreciate any sort of instruction or help in this matter.

Unfortunately, my instructor is not familiar with Macs or OSX, otherwise I'd seek his advice. So, if anyone can point me to a good instruction manual or other place to get some initial instructions for getting started, please please please do so.

Thanks a ton!