PPM Install Failure (DBD-ODBC) - Can't Find Package that Provides DBI 1.21

Posted by kradcock on 2008-01-07 13:15
Forums: PPM | OS: Windows XP Pro

Good afternoon:

I'm running ActiveState Perl version 5.10.0 for Windows (Binary Build 1001 [283495]. I downloaded DBD-ODBC-1.14.zip from the ActivePerl downloads page for version 5.10. After unzipping the contents, I ran the following command:

ppm install DBD-ODBC.ppd

I received the following error message:

"ppm install failed: Can't find any package that provides DBI version 1.21 for DBD-ODBC"

Obviously, this looks like some sort of versioning conflict. I'm not sure how to resolve the problem. Did I download the wrong file?

I would be most appreciative if someone could help me out with this issue.

Sincerely,

Ken

MarcZ | Wed, 2008-01-09 08:03

Not all Modules are ready/compatible for the latest Perl 5.10.1001

If you require this module, you may want to go back to Perl 5.8 Build 822
Which supports a lot more modules. (Until Perl 5.10 catches up.)

kradcock | Thu, 2008-01-10 16:24

Good evening:

Thanks for your response.

I have some new information. I was able to setup environment variables for my firewall proxy server and issue the same command as before:

ppm install DBD-ODBC.ppd

PPM was then able to connect to the ActiveState repository. This time the install worked properly and there were no error messages. I then successfully executed a sample script that accessed data using Perl DBI and ODBC. Just for fun, I then ran a script that listed the installed drivers and ODBC was now among those listed whereas it had not been listed before. Obviously, that's a good thing.

Looking at the PPM GUI tool reveals that I now have DBD-ODBC version 1.14 along with DBI 1.601. Obviously, some element of my manual install was incorrect whereas the PPM utility did everything correct. The question I now have is why?

It would be nice to know the proper way to perform the manual install via files manually retrieved from the repository. There might be instances where I would need to download the files and then install them on a machine that did not have internet access.

Again any help is most appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

MarcZ | Fri, 2008-01-11 05:07

You can install packages from zip files.

see:
Using PPM documentation, under ActivePerl Components in the ActivePerl documentation that comes with ActivePerl 5.10.1001.

The website to download the zipped Archives can be reached using the following URL:
(The old PPM links on the ActivePerl Website appear to be old.

http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/zips

balu | Tue, 2008-09-09 23:00

hi , i have installed perl 5.8, and the PPM.pm i am having the version 4.1 . i tried to install DBI's version 5.8.8. i got the fallowing erroe
""E:\Perl\lib\ActivePerl>ppm install dbi
Downloading ActiveState Package Repository packlist...failed 500 Can't connect t o ppm4.activestate.com:80 (connect: Unknown error) ppm install failed: Can't find any package that provide dbi"

can any one help me , what i have to do?

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Fri, 2008-09-19 14:27

You should try "ppm install DBI".
You might also be behind a firewall or proxy server. PPM can be configured to use a proxy server. The instructions are found here:
http://docs.activestate.com/activeperl/5.10/faq/ActivePerl-faq2.html#ppm...

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Fri, 2008-09-19 14:38

One of the benefits of PPM is that it has the ability to determine if the prerequisites for a module are in place before attempting to install it, and if they are missing it can load them first.

Sometimes you can find a META.yml file for a module which shows it's dependencies. If you can't find that, then you usually have to find out the hard way when an installation fails by picking through the error logs to see exactly what was missing.