need help in manually installing perl modules within XAMPP 1.7.3

Posted by sudarshan on 2010-09-24 10:54
Forums: PPM | OS: Windows XP Pro

Hi All,

I am rather new to perl, having written only elementary programs in it sme fifteen years ago in college.

I am trying to install a text mining package called TextMine on XAMPP 1.7.3, (XAMPP is really Perl, PHP, mySQL and Apache bundled together.)

XAMPP is running fine on the machine.
Also, XAMPP includes Perl version 5.10.1.
The environment path variable is correctly set in the system, so that I am able to run elementary 'Hello World' type programs from the command prompt.

As part of the installation of Textmine (which has been fine in the fist two stages), I need to install five modules - Crypt::Rot13, DBI, DBI::mySQL and two others in the third stage.

I first tried to use the 'mcpan' facility from the command prompt - this, I believe downloads and installs modules from the central cpan repository on the web.
However, it said that it could not find the modules and gave up the process.

I did find the modules on www.cpan.org, and downloaded them in order to do a manual install.

For this, I unzipped the module into ../perl/lib and tried to run the standard set of commands - starting with perl Makefile.pl at the command prompt i.e. C:\program files\tmap\xampp\perl\lib\crypt-rot13-0.6

However, this said, 'Unable to find a perl 5
the list of variables, incidentally, shows the perl path at the end, viz
c:\program files\tmap\xampp\perl\bin'

Kindly help on how to get around this.

Also, I wanted to know if there is a GUI based facility for doing manual installs of perl modules.

Finally, I wanted to know - is perl 5.10.1 part of the Active State Perl flavor? At one point in the installation for TextMine, it asks this question. So far, I have been assuming that this is not Active State perl.

Any help would be really really appreciated.

Thanks for any kind of inputs.

warm regards

sudarshan shidore
e-learing professional
Bombay, India