How do I install CPAN modules in ActivePerl 5.8.8 build 819?

Posted by barryhall_zeninternet on 2008-12-13 14:15
Forums: PPM | OS: Windows

I am running Windows XP Home Editon and ActivePErl 5.8.8 build 819.
I have attempted to instal the graphics interface module GD using
>cpan GD
but I get the error message:
'gdlib-config' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
**UNRECOVERABLE ERROR**
Could not find gdlib-config in the search path. Please install libgd 2.0.28 or higher.
If you want to try to compile anyway, please rerun this script with the option --ignore_missing_gd.

(More below)

Attempts to install with the --ignore_missing_gd option also fail with the message:
NMAKE : fatal error U1064: MAKEFILE not found and no target specified
Stop.
nmake -- NOT OK
Running make test
Can't test without successful make
Running make install
make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

I have also tried to install GD using ppm with the command
>ppm install GD
but I get the error message:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Perl Scripts>ppm install GD
Downloading ActiveState Package Repository packlist...done
Updating ActiveState Package Repository database...done
ppm install failed: Can't find any package that provide GD

Checking the ActiveState sie for GD in the ppd packages doesn't show any package named GD.

I rarely use Windows so I'm sure there is something simple I'm missing. Any idea what?

Thanks for your help.

Barry Hall

grahams
ActiveState Staff
Wed, 2009-01-07 14:52

I don't have a copy of 819 installed at the moment, but the Perl GD module is a built-in with recent versions of ActivePerl.

The error from your CPAN attempt is typical. It indicates the install script could not find the GD libraries, and couldn't continue. The GD libraries are included with Linux so our Linux PPM repos have the Perl GD module, but we get the same CPAN error you do on our Windows build servers (no GD libraries) and that's why there is no ppm package for GD available in the Windows repo.

ActivePerl 5.8.9.825 has GD 2.41 included, plus GD-Graph 1.44 and GD-Text 0.86.

KevinADC | Wed, 2009-01-07 17:38

Try using strawberry perl ( www.strawberryperl.com )if you want to install modules on Windows using the CPAN shell. You will have to uninstall activeperl first as having two versions of perl on a Windows box is probably asking for trouble.